Monday, January 25, 2021

No Licking Icicles, Please. Ask This Meteorologist

Meteorologist Katie Nickolau says
don't east the icicles
When I was a kid, I never thought of what meteorologist Katie Nickolau thought of, regarding icicles.

You see, lots of kids, me included, liked to break icicles off the house eaves in the winter and munch on them.  

But if you do that, Nickolau points out, you're eating bird poop. 

Think about it. Birds hang out on roofs all the time. They poop.  When the snow melts off the roof to form icicles, the melting snow takes the poop with it. It's in the icicles. 

Nickolau is quite the character anyway.  Her nerdy enthusiasm is completely infectious.  

If you have a young daughter or niece who is interested in the sciences, especially meteorology, of course, steer them toward Nickolau.

On the bright side, there's no known health effects that I can determine from my icicle eating days as a kid. But I guess icicles are off the table for winter outdoor fun.

Here's the report on the bird poop icicles from Inside Edition:



No comments:

Post a Comment