Sunday, December 4, 2022

A Windy Vermont December Day, In Video

These Christmas decorations in downtown St. Albans, Vermont
hung in there despite Saturday's gusts to 50 mph or so.
 As I wrote about yesterday, the wind really cranked up in the northern Champlain Valley of Vermont and New York. As always, I like to take video of the weather that surrounds me, so I did during this event, too.    

Winds gusted as high as 66 mph on White's Beach in Grand Isle, and many other places had gusts to or over 50 mph. 

The winds blasted St. Albans, too, taking down a couple trees here and there, and causing power outages scattered about town. (I lost power at my house for a half hour or so, but the great guys and gals at Green Mountain Power worked fast to get my neighborhood's electricity back).

The strongest winds came before dawn, so I missed that excitement. But, the wind came in two surges, one in the morning, and another, slightly less forceful blast in the late afternoon and evening. 

In the video, you can see the wind roaring through the trees around my house just after dawn, when the gusts had already started to die down a bit. The second part of the video is in the late afternoon and evening, when the 40+ mph gusts tossed and jostled the Christmas decorations around town.

The moon also peeked out between the stormy clouds, adding a little spookiness to the scene. This all would have worked great around Halloween. 

To watch the video, you can click on this link if you don't see the image below. Or if you see the image, click on that to watch.  Hang on to your hat while you're watching! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment