Friday, July 7, 2023

Two Vermont Thunderstorm Videos Just Because Storms Are Cool. With Videos.

I love watching wannabe storms bubble up in the humid
summer atmosphere over Vermont, occasionally turning
into nice thunderstorms. 
 We're finally getting thunderstorms here and there in Vermont.

Some are in the forecast today. A few of them might actually be strong. Or cause some local flash flooding.

 So keep your eyes to the sky and get inside if threatening weather approaches. 

That said, I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite here. Yes, I know I'm supposed to go indoors when there's lightning.  But, there I was, I couldn't resist. I took videos of both. 

Where I live in St. Albans, we had some thunder on Saturday and Tuesday. Nothing severe, but thunder is a part of summer.  I find thunderstorms to be rejuvenating in some odd way. 

The first storm, Saturday evening was actually pretty relaxing.  The  sky was already murky from Canadian wildfire smoke as skies darkened further with approaching thunderstorms. 

The thunder just kind of rumbled and grumbled in the distance, never coming super, super close. But we even had the spectacle at one point of mammatus  clouds, which often form under the anvils of strong thunderstorms. 

(The storms produced torrential rain in northeastern New York, but nothing excessively dramatic here in Vermont).

I also love how the evening bird song mixed with the low, grumbling thunder for a storm of natural symphony. 

As darkness fell, a few flashes of lightning lit up the sky, and a drenching downpour made the night even more relaxing, even if it was on the humid side.

So here's the first video. Click on this link to view, or click on the image below if you see it. After this first video, we have Thunderstorm #2 on Tuesday. 


The next round of thunderstorms was on our hot, humid Fourth of July.  Some of the storms that developed in northern Vermont were severe, causing wind damage in places from Grand Isle to Hardwick. 

Here in St. Albans, once again, the storms were not severe and actually only dropped a trace of rain. 

However, I love how the cloud towers go up so fast as thunderstorms rapidly erupt in the humid air. I also love the weird structures they can form, as you can see in the video. I also like how the crows knew to fly back to their roost up the hill just before a cooling gust front from one of the storms rolled in. 

And of course I love the sound of thunder. I didn't get to record any lightning strikes, missed them all, or just saw flashes in the clouds. 

Once again, click on this link to watch the video, or if you see the image below click on that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment